Tuesday, April 1, 2014

How To Succeed As A Pre-Med Student


Study with someone - With so many terms and concepts to memorize, it is crucial you study with a partner to have quiz and answer sessions. I know there are some who trust themselves and would rather study alone; I used to be one of those people. I’m telling you, it’s really not worth it nor will it serve you better than having a study partner.

Plan a time to power down nearly every day – Personally, I’m a fan of the short, half hour nap every afternoon. It makes me feel much more energized and helps me retain information better. For those of you who don’t care for a “Badger Snooze,” I still encourage you to slow down and give yourself a 
break at some point in every day; it makes all the difference for your brain.

Do NOT pull all-nighters - Not only are all-nighters absolutely miserable, they are simply not good for the studying mind. Without at least three hours of sleep, I can’t remember a thing I studied the night before. Even if you procrastinated in preparing for an exam, you’re better off only studying a portion of the material and then getting a few hours of sleep, at least you will remember that much for the test.

Use the study room at the back of Yancey Hall – It’s always quiet, there are always fellow pre-med majors, and the biology professors are just a few steps away for questions.

Balance your study time and your partying time - Obviously studying hard is vital to success, but fun is required as well in order to be well rounded and stay happy. Trust me, no one can go through pre-med without relaxing and letting loose sometimes.

Exercise daily - Whether it’s intramural sports, jogging, yoga, or lifting weights, you need a time to relieve stress and exercise is an extremely healthy way to do so. I’ve also found that exercising regularly gives me more energy and helps my brain function. Even after an exhausting workout, I am soon refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the day.

Worry about yourself - Everyone studies and learns differently, so don’t base the amount of time needed to be well prepared on what other people are doing.


Delayed gratification - Although it’s tough, it’s completely doable and hard work always pays off once the ultimate goal is reached.

Written By: Nick Link
Nick is a Premedical student who will attend Louisville Medical School in Fall of 2014. At Spring Hill, Nick has been captain of the soccer team and a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home